Thursday, December 10, 2009

MEXICAN-STYLE FISH CHOWDER

Because the weather has been so unseasonably blustery this week here in Northern California, I am thinking I will prepare this soon! Hubby returns home tomorrow (from business trip to Tokyo, Japan) -- will serve comfort foods to get him resettled into our time zone! ;)

MEXICAN-STYLE FISH CHOWDER Serves 6 to 8; Prep: 15 mins

OK, I am the first to say I was skeptical of this recipe, but after tweaking it -- I ended up liking this dish! Part of my ‘branching out:’ using the crockpot more often & freeing up time to do other things! try out this recipe... one bowl and your taste buds and bellies will be satisfied! ENJOY! --TC

Nonstick Cooking Spray
1 (16 oz) pkg. frozen whole kernel corn
½ to 1 small onion, diced, optional *my addition –TC
1 to 2 tsp chili powder, optional *my addition –TC
2 (10 ¾ oz.) cans condensed cream of celery soup *I used a can cream of celery & a can cream of potato soup – both “Campbell’s Healthy Request” brand (reduced sodium, cholesterol, fat and calories) --TC
1 ½ cups milk *I used skim --TC
1 lb. fresh cod or other white-fleshed fish fillets *I used Basa or Talapia cut into 2”x3” chunks & I seasoned each piece lightly w/ sea salt & fresh ground pepper --TC
2 (14 ½ oz.) cans Mexican-style stewed tomatoes, undrained *I used “Diced Tomatoes with Green Chilis in Sauce,” they had a little heat from jalepenos --TC
1 lemon, zested (no ‘pith’ or white stuff), optional *my addition –TC
Sea salt & fresh ground pepper, optional *my additions –TC
Garnish with thinly sliced scallions, optional *my addition –TC

(1) Lightly coat a 3 1/2 – or 4-quart slow cooker with cooking spray. In the prepared cooker, combine soup, corn, and milk.
(2) Cover & cook on low-heat setting for 3 to 4 hours OR on high-heat setting for 1 ½ to 2 hours.
(3) If using low-heat setting, turn to high-heat setting. Stir chowder. Place fish on top of the mixture in cooker. Cover and cook for 1 hour more. Stir in tomatoes.

*My differences in prep: I was short on time, so I sautéed the corn and onion in a few teaspoons of olive oil just until corn thawed completely and started to caramelize a little bit – I’ll probably use roasted corn cut off the cob next time for more flavor. Then I added the chili powder and stirred 1 minute. I then added all this to the combined milk & condensed soups. I cooked on the high-heat setting the entire time, only timing I did differently was to stir in the tomatoes with 20 minutes left on the cooking time. Just before serving, stir in the zest of 1 lemon. Reseason at the end, if desired. Serve with Lemon Rice Pilaf, Plain Jasmine or Basmati rice, or good fresh bread! Garnish with thinly sliced scallions.

**To freeze this dish, prepare through Step 2, cool completely, then freeze. Thaw overnight in the refrigerator, heat to simmer, then add fish… following the rest of the directions. --TC

Per serving: 293 cals, 8g total fat (3g sat. fat), 39mg chol., 1,296mg sodium, 36g carb, 2g fiber, 21g pro. –Courtesy of Better Homes and Gardens 5-Ingredient Slow-Cooker cookbook, 2004.

No comments:

Post a Comment