Sunday, January 17, 2010

No Lyin'... SWINE IS DIVINE!!


This week I found a sale on Pork Sirloin Roasts at my local co-op. I purchased a sealed bag that contained 4 small roasts, totally about 6.5#s of meat. I decided I would get a head-start on the week and do some serious cooking... I prepared two pork dishes and a batch of French Onion Soup. The pork recipes are below, I'll post a variety of soup recipes soon! ENJOY! --TC

CIDER PORK POT ROAST -- Serves 6 to 8; Prep Time: 10 minutes; Cook Time: 8 hours

Serve this flavorful roast with potatoes or boiled cabbage for a delicious family meal. *I served this with a green salad (Romaine, cucumbers, shredded cabbage) dressed lightly with Sesame Ginger dressing -- the flavors complimented the apple cider roast nicely. --TC

2 medium onions, halved and sliced
1 boneless pork shoulder or sirloin roast, about 3 1/2 to 4 1/2 pounds
4 to 6 carrots, cut in 1-inch pieces
*3 stalks celery in 1” chunks – my addition --TC
2 cloves garlic, minced
1/2 teaspoon salt *used Geasoning in lieu of S&P --TC
1/8 teaspoon pepper
1/2 teaspoon allspice *used ¼ tsp due to spices in cider --TC
1 teaspoon chili powder
1 teaspoon dried leaf marjoram or thyme *used 3 sprigs fresh lemon thyme --TC
2 cups natural apple juice or cider *used spiced applecider --TC
2 tablespoons cider vinegar *used 2 tsp Cider Vinegar --TC
**2 Fuji apples sliced into large wedges, add at last hour of cooking **I missed apples in this dish, I will add next time and bet it will be delicious!! – my addition --TC
*2 tsp cornstarch – my addition --TC
*3 TBSP apple cider, COLD – my addition --TC

Arrange onions in the bottom of the slow cooker. *ALSO, I suggest using a 'Slow Cooker Liner.' Found 6 for $5.49 made by “Majestic Chef " at my local grocery store – saved water, time and energy because there was NO SOAKING before easily wiping the crock clean! --TC
Leave netting on pork roast and place in the slow cooker. *I used 2 smaller sirloin roasts -- found them on sale!! --TC
Arrange carrots around the roast; sprinkle the roast with the garlic, salt, pepper, allspice, chili powder, and marjoram or thyme. Combine the juice and vinegar and pour over the roast.
Cover and cook on HIGH for 1 hour. Reduce heat to LOW and cook for 6 to 8 hours longer, or leave on HIGH for 3 to 4 hours longer. *Cooked on HIGH 5 hours, and it had the beautiful consistency of ‘tender pulled pork,’ if you would like to slice the roast try only 4 hours… --TC
Pour juices into a saucepan and bring to a boil on the stovetop. Reduce to medium and continue boiling for 5 minutes.
Combine flour and cold water until smooth; whisk into the simmering juices. Continue cooking and stirring until thickened. Serve with the pork. **I whisked the cornstarch-apple cider slurry into the cooking liquids, brought to a boil, then simmered 10 minutes…. And served!! —TC
–Courtesy of Dianna Rattray, found on www.About.com.


CARNITAS (cooked in water, NOT oil) Serves 6; Easy; Prep: 20 minutes; Cook: 1 hr, 20 mins**

3 pounds pork shoulder, skin and bone removed
Water
1 large Chicken boullion cube -- my additon --TC
1 tablespoon salt *I use ½ TBSP Geasoning to start! --TC
2 garlic cloves, roughly chop
1 medium white onion, medium dice
2 teaspoons ancho chile powder *used 1 tsp out of consideration for the kids and neighbors --TC
½ to 1 tsp cumin -- my addition, a nod to the Cuban food I adore! –TC
Salt & Pepper *I use ½ tsp Geasoning to start! –TC
*I use 2 TBSP safflower to crisp at the end! --TC
12 warm corn tortillas
Tropical Avocado Salsa, recipe follows

Cut the meat, with the fat, into 1-inch cubes. Barely cover the meat with water in a heavy wide pan. (A pan of this type will enable the water to evaporate more quickly; therefore, you’ll be eating cantitas faster! --SR) Add the salt and bring to a boil, uncovered. (*TIP: to remove impurities, I cover the pork with water, bring it to a boil for 10 minutes, then skim off all the 'skum' on the top. I strain the meat, then start again in a new cleaned pot... For good measure & extra flavor, I add a quartered onion & 2 crushed garlic cloves at this point! --TC) When the liquid reaches a boil, lower the heat, and continue to cook until all the liquid has evaporated. At this point, the meat should be cooked through but not falling apart.
Lower the heat a little more and continue cooking the meat until all the fat has rendered out of it. (As I was using VERY LEAN sirloin roasts, I had to ADD a few TBSP of safflower oil to enable the meat to brown... use the oil of your choice! -- TC) Keep turning the meat until it is lightly browned all over. This entire process should take about 1 hour and 15 minutes. (**This process took about 2 hours when I prepared the dish; but the result is YUMMY!! --TC) Remove the meat and set aside.
Drain all but 2 tablespoons of the oil and heat over medium low heat. Add the onions and saute until translucent. Add the garlic, reserved meat, and chile powder. Cook for a few minutes more, stirring constantly. Season, to taste, with salt and pepper.
Serve with corn tortillas and Tropical Avocado Salsa. We also serve with black beans, rice, guacamole, sour cream & shredded cheese – not nearly as helthy, but fantastic!! --TC

Tropical Avocado Salsa:
3 papayas, peeled, seeded, cut into small dice
2 mangoes, peeled, cut into small dice
3 avocados, cut into small dice
1 large red onion, cut into small dice
1 red jalapeno pepper, finely minced
1 green jalapeno pepper, finely minced
1/4 cup cilantro, roughly chopped
2 large limes, juiced
3 tablespoons olive oil

To make tropical salsa, combine all ingredients together in a medium bowl and stir well. Keep refrigerated until ready to use. –Courtesy of Joey Altman www.foodtv.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment