Thursday, January 21, 2010

Quick Pasta Using Pantry Staples

We've all been there: The clock is counting down the last few hours of the 'work day,' and dinner has slipped your mind - until now!
I was definitely there today!! As I hunted through my pantry, I decided to make TUNA PUTTANESCA.
I always keep a variety dried whole wheat pastas, tons of canned products (I am the princess of purchasing items on sale -- thanks mom!!), not to mention the aromatic staples (garlic, onions, celery & carrots) around... Some other items I cannot live without include: capers, olives, roasted red peppers, artichokes, lemons &/or limes. There is something to be said about a well-stocked pantry!!!

TUNA PUTTANESCA ("Pooh-ttanesca a la Hunny") Serves 6

Ok, my sweet and wonderful husband (aka "Hunny") is not the biggest fan of tomatoes and olives, so I tweaked various recipes into this one to please his taste buds. Next time (per his subtle suggestions) I'll add roasted red peppers and per my taste I'll increase the pepper flakes, lemon zest, and parsley! A great light and satisfying dish! No bread needed, but a shared bottle of wine always sweetens your just rewards!

Kosher salt or Sea Salt, 2 large pinches (about 2 TBSP)
1 (1#) box Barilla PLUS M Penne (this means extra fiber, protein & Omega-3 Fatty Acids) or just use 1# dried whole wheat pasta
4 TBSP olive oil – I did 2 TBSP Light tasting olive oil & 2 TBSP Extra Virgin Olive Oil
6 cloves garlic, grated finely on a microplane (makes them 'melt' into the sauce!)
2 tsp red pepper flakes, to taste *I'd increase by 1-1/2 or 2x's next time
**2 medium tomatoes, diced (for Greg I remove most of the insides)
**2 TBSP sun-dried tomato paste, PLUS 1 ½ cups of starchy pasta water
2 (6 oz.) cans Albacore Tuna in Olive oil, drained (used Trader Joe's brand)
1 (13.75 oz) can artichoke hearts, cut into pieces (your preference, I prefer 1/3rds from leaf to heart)
½ cup medium pitted California olives, roughly chopped (about ½ a can)
1 heaping tsp capers, chopped
½ cup (4 oz.) white wine, dry is nice, but whatever you're drinking should suffice! (I actually used Sea Ridge Chenin Blanc)
2 medium lemons, zested ***increase to 3 lemons next time!
1 handful of fresh parsley leaves, finely chopped (about 3 TBSP)
Sea salt & fresh cracked pepper, to taste

**Note: Instead of fresh tomatoes and tomato paste, you can substitute 1 (about 15 oz.) can diced tomatoes – you may need to decrease the amount of pasta water, use your best judgment!

Bring a large stockpot (at least 6 QTs) with about ¾ full of water to a rolling boil. Add two large pinches of salt, then the penne pasta; set timer for 8 to 11 minutes. [Tip: cover the pot to bring to a boil more quickly, but once you add the pasta, leave pot uncovered.]

With a few minutes left in the pasta cooking time… in a large high-sided skillet over medium heat, add olive oil, garlic and red pepper flakes; sauté 2 minutes – taking care to NOT brown the garlic. Add the tomatoes and tomato paste, sauté 1 minute. Add the tuna, artichoke hearts, olives, and capers; sauté 2 to 3 minutes.

Add HOT drained pasta and up to 2 cups of reserved hot pasta water and toss to thoroughly coat. Re-season if necessary and enjoy immediately!
–Courtesy of TC (dubbed "Pooh Bear" by hubby "Hunny" -- yes, we are that cheesy!!) – orignially created February 2008.

No comments:

Post a Comment