Friday, August 21, 2009

Neighborhood Potluck Gatheringss

We relocated to Sacramento over five years ago. We had never been to this area and didn't know a soul in town. Within a few weeks I knocked on a neighbor's door, gave her a set of our keys and asked her to check in on our house a few times in the coming month. (I found out later she thought I was "insane!")
Maybe I was crazy, but I had to trust someone with all of our material possessions and she seemed kind & honest. I come from the East Coast. The tourist towns (one in WV and the other in the Florida Keys) I grew up in did not have fences separating each home from one another. I'm not saying folks 'back East' are more friendly, I believe they are just 'less guarded.'
The factor that brought us to the amazing Sacramento Valley was my husband's job. Every Monday he'd head off to the office and I was looking at a lonely week, trying to keep myself busy and staying positive! Thank goodness for Captain Jack (our beagle/terrier mix), he kept me company and helped me meet people at dog parks and more importantly, in our neighborhood!
Five years later, I am the unofficial "neighborhood coordinator." I set up group potluck dinners, keep them aware of events and news of what happens at our community meetings.
If you want to get to know your neighbors -- share some food with them! The meal or dish does not have to be elaborate, just good!
This weekend we had a Neighborhood Potluck Dinner. Our shared meals are planned around a theme or main dish. Each household is responsible for another part of the meal and their own beverages. This week's main dish: SHISH KABOBS
Our menu ended up being: hummus with carrots; sugar snap peas and pita chips, chicken, pork & vegetable (mushrooms, bell peppers, onions, sweet potatoes, yams) shish kabobs; Indian-spiced Basmati rice; corn on the cob; Spinach Salad with Strawberries, Oranges & Sunflower Seeds; grilled plum tomatoes with Parmesan cheese; grilled pineapple wedges, Indian Flat bread; & crusty bread studded with whole garlic cloves. What a FEAST!!
(my plate: are you hungry?)

Potluck Meals are an affordable way to connect with others in your community! Get creative, invite some guests and have fun!! --TC

No comments:

Post a Comment