Monday, August 17, 2009

Fairfield Tomato Festival / West Coast BBQ Championships




The weather was lovely - a mild 67 degrees F as we left our home at 7:30am on Sunday... Our destination was Fairfield, CA & the event two-fold: Fairfield Tomato Festival (for her) and the West Coast BBQ Championships (for him).

My 10-year anniversary gift to my husband this spring was the Kansas City Barbeque Society Certification [KCBS]. Pretty cool, I know! He went off to judge day two of a variety of meats and I did some pre-shopping in the shops and booths that opened early. I found a few trinkets, but decided that staring at the vendors and willing them to hurry-up and set up was not going to work. I went in search of a non-chain breakfast and coffee. I should mention now that I am NOT a fan of chain restaurants. I try to seek out the places where the locals hang out or aks them where they take visitng guests! (This is a great tip -- when on vacation or moving to a new area!)

That being said, I found a gem in Canepa Delicatesson at 721 Texas Street (near Jefferson).

After feasting my eyes on the charming interior and all the goods they had to offer, I decided on coffee (freshly made, robust, yet not a hint of bitterness) and an idividual Rustic Apple Tart. Oh my goodness!! The tart's apples were perfectly cooked, the pastry portion was moist, and there was even a hint of a 'crisp topping' to compliment the harmonious flavors and textures! (I decided then and there that this would be a great 'pit stop,' as Canepa is the half-way point for our trips to the Bay Area!) **I'm told the same couple (Gigi and Ray) own Vintage Caffe at Makas Corner in Suisun Valley (conviently on the way to Napa!).

I asked the staff for lunch recommendations in the area -- in unision: any of their deli sandwiches, of course! ;) After lingering to chat a bit longer, I ventured back out onto the street to check out more vendors & shops -- jewlery (fine, casual, and kitchy), handbags, air-brushed tattoos, toys, hair accessories, home decor, metal work, hydroponic supplies, Bloody Mary's (ooh!), recipe booklets featuring Tomatoes, mini-Succulent Gardens (in an array of pots and containers), eyebrow threading, Indian fabrics & clothing, make-your-own (edible) candy sculpture, and so on...

A few hours later it is lunch time. Greg was still judging for few more hous and I was ready for something different. The food stands along W. Texas Street were touting everything from Tri-Tip Sandwiches to Fried Catfish (which nearly got my vote). But, I like to try new things, especially at fairs and festivals. At the recommendation of a booth operator, I bypassed the beautiful giant spears of tempura fried asparagus (world-reknown in the area thanks to the annual Asparagus Festival in Stockton) and ordered the lumpia.

What is LUMPIA? After eating them, I would describe them as a hybrid eggroll/taquito. My order contained a flavorful mixture of ground pork, ginger, garlic and cabbage wrapped in a very thin, open-ended egg roll wrapper and deep fried. Served with a sweet chile sauce, these crunchy hot bundles were filling and satisfied my tastebuds!

Next stop: Tomato Alley. For a mere $2 entry fee (that went to local charities) I received a paper bowl and a plastic fork. Inside the white, air-conditioned 'event tent' was a long rectangle of tables showcasing thousands of tomatoes -- easily 100 varieties. There were samples given at six stations around the tables. At each tasting station, you could taste pieces of various tomatoes. For $3.99/# you could hand-select any of the tomatoes and take them home with you. (The tomato I like the very best was the yellow Lemon Boy and I happen to be growing it at home this summer. Bonus!)

Next I perused the BBQ Team tents and their set ups. Some tents were like Taj Mahals of Grilling & Smoking, while others looked like poor college students having a good time on basic grills! Most people were happy to just be competing. Others were convinced they were going to win!! I loved the positive, competitve spirit!

I walked back to the judging area as Greg was emerging... by the time we left, it was 93 degrees F, our bellies were happy, and we were in need of a nap!!

No comments:

Post a Comment